Saturday, May 13, 2006

Breastfeeding...

I recently took care of a baby that was being formula fed from birth; my first experience as of yet. All the mothers and babies that I have cared for are breastfeeding, at least so far. It’s very strange to me. The more I am around mothers and babies, the more I do not understand formula feeding at all. The difference between a formula fed baby and breast fed baby is just obvious and sad in my opinion. It is a very small percentage of people that are not physically able to breastfeed (less than 0.5%). But, many women in this country choose not to breastfeed, not even to try it. Don't you want to try them out and see what they are for? It blows my mind. This mother has chosen to formula feed all of her children thus far; this was her third little girl. All of her children have had terrible colic and reflux (this is just a no-brainer). I can't believe the mother wouldn't just try it for her children’s sake. Of course, I never actually voice my feelings on this, but my feelings have become very strong because I have seen the difference in health, and in motherbaby bonding. When I come into the room of a formula fed baby they are usually lying in their cradle, breastfed babies are usually being held. Formula fed babies are often sent to the nursery for the night (and many nurses enjoy the formula fed babies because they can feed them and mother them-- that’s a whole 'nother post for another time).

Its funny too that it feels like you can't talk about breastfeeding versus formula feeding. It’s off limits like religion, sex, and politics. Doctors will use scare tactics if you choose not to vaccinate, but often nothing is said if a mother chooses not to breastfeed and the health consequences are just as serious. Formula fed babies are more likely to die before their 3rd birthday; shouldn't we be able to talk about this?

Anyway, I worked up the nerve to ask this mother if she had breastfed any of her children (in a very nice, unassuming way). She said "no. I've never felt comfortable with 'that." She added that her sister breastfed her children, but that she was 'different' and they did things that she didn't agree with. She said her sister loved it, but it just wasn't for her. I asked her if she got very sore when her milk came in and she said yes. She said that on that third day she always second guessed her choice when the baby is crying and her breasts are full...

I can't imagine completely denying your own instincts. I feel like these formula fed babies are cheated for many reasons and they don't have a choice. I feel like these mothers are cheated because they don't have the confidence or support or education to choose to do what’s best for their own health and their baby's health.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

the hardest thing with FF babies and reflux is that if they were breastfed, they would absorb so many more nutrients faster - and would gain better and be healthier overall. :(

I notice that many FF babies have an increased rate of upper respiratory infections and ear infections. I'm not sure if that's correlated as much to childcare issues (and moms switching to formula for that), or if it's a result of the poor nutrition in formula.

13:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't get it either. I'm all for it from a evolutionary, better for baby/mom way... but financially HOLY CRAP! Who can afford that stuff? I mean really?! I'm totally floored by the sheer cost of it too!
K
mom to two b/f boys (19m and 14 months respectively until self weaned)
and a little girl nursling, nine months down... who knows how long!

08:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Student of Birth