Saturday, August 05, 2006

The State of Birth Today...

Where to begin with this topic... I guess I am surrounded by pretty progressive people for the most part, but I do still have a few "mainstream" friends. A friend of mine from high school is due to have a baby August 9th. Even though I love this friend, S., she doesn't ever question the status quo. She chose an O.B. at a community hospital and basically goes to her appointments and that's the extent of her involvement. She eats O.K., definitely not stellar, and drinks too much soda (with caffeine I might add). This is really not much different than many others. She has had a completely uneventful pregnancy, but she is being induced Tuesday.

So, my friend S. is being induced the day before her due date. I thought it was bad enough when people were induced on their due date. What is the world coming too? When she told me this, I had to really control myself. Here is just one example of the absolute cluelessness: A mutual friend of ours had a 9 lb. second baby right around her due date and I said "did you hear that Sue had her baby? It was a 9 pounder (proudly)! S. says "I can't believe they let her walk around like that!" And I said "like what? Like why didn't they induce her?" And S. said "yeah!" See, I don't even know where to begin with that. Anyway, I digress... When I spoke with S. today and she told me of the planned induction, I asked her why they were inducing her and she said she didn't know why, the O.B. didn't give her any reason. S. believes it may be because she is 3 cm. and 80% effaced (that is some messed up logic!).

I find it very interesting that people believe there are no risks to these interventions, but even more disgusting is that their doctors are not informing them of the risks versus benefits or I bet most would not agree to an induction. So, I want to list the risks for my own sanity:
  • ACOG's own statement: The side effects of oxytocin use are principally dose related; uterine hyperstimulation and subsequent fetal heart rate deceleration are the most common side effects. Hyperstimulation may result in abruptio placentae or uterine rupture (a rare complication). Water intoxication can occur with high concentrations of oxytocin infused with large quantities of hypotonic solutions. The antidiuretic effect usually is observed only after prolonged administration with at least 40 mU of oxytocin per minute. A rapid intravenous injection of oxytocin may cause hypotension.
  • Labor is more painful
  • An IV is required
  • Continuous fetal monitoring is the norm
  • Uterine hyperstimulation is possible
  • Baby may be born in poor condition (doubles risk)
  • Increased PP blood loss
  • Increased newborn jaundice
  • Increase ceserean birth rate
  • All of above have their own additional risks

2 Comments:

Blogger LaborPayne said...

Nice blog, I enjoy reading your rants. I agree women are so clueless but don't be afraid to speak up and give them another point of view- remember, they only hear one side of things.

10:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ob (dr. nguyen) wanted to induce me at 39 weeks, but I said no. I was having my 5th born, and couldn't imagine being induced as I had all my others without meds and had tried hard to avoid iv's (had them two times and regretted it once since they gave me too much fluid...I shivered out of control). I stuck with this ob as I thought it would be good for her to learn how a woman can have a baby (and she really is nice and let me do it all my way). She ended up missing my birth because I went too fast, she wasn't on call but wanted to be called anyway. She arrived to catch the placenta. Point being, I agree, this induction rate is crazy. I wish women wouldn't accept it and would take some control for their situation. All I had to do was tell my ob what I wanted and she understood. Also, with miscarriage, I learned that women cannot often speak up for themselves. I had a 16 week old die in utero. My ob scheduled the d&e. I knew a lot about birth but nothing of this. I went ahead with the d&e and now realize they could have let me deliver. I could have asked for the remains. I don't even know where they put my baby, and it hurts. I didn't speak up for myself as I was in shock. I've spoken to my ob about some of these issues, and hope to change her practice so other women have a choice in how to deal with their dead.

00:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Student of Birth