Friday, August 18, 2006

Circumcision...

The biggest suggestion out of the 2006 AIDS conference is circumcision, you can check out a clip on the news here. There have been some studies done in Africa that showed circumcised men were %60 less likely to contract the HIV virus. I don't know what else to really say about this except this is not going to help people that are on the fence about circing. Who knows, this may even change the AAPs recommendations.

On a side note, a friend of mine had her son circed last week. I was over visiting her and her mom and I watched as my friend changed the babies diaper. Her mom said "look, it looks like a real little penis now." I wanted to say 'NO, it was a real penis before you modified it!' God, people are stupid.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

bah. don't even get me started on the whole AIDS/Africa thing.

:(

02:34  
Blogger cooler*doula said...

I too have been so worried since this news came out. I try to find hope in that SURELY people who are circumcised won't think they have a pass on needing a condom? I'm also surprised at this statistic, as many African tribes (I'm from South Africa) have a long established rite of circumcision for teen boys.

As for a normal penis. Our son is intact. I refused to allow circumcision, and after some thought, my husband was on my side. But it took some discussion. Now every time I see a circumcised toddler penis I think it looks naked, wronged, like it needs a band aid...

17:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and I love it. I had a homebirth here in NYC, while almost every mom I meet had a c-section because "it just wasn't working." It's such a relief to read your posts!
-Sarah

22:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Student of Birth